Random observations on kids, exercise, sports, and whatever else comes up.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Crossing the Line

I have a pretty good sense of humor, especially about being a nerd.   I'll admit, I'm not above poking fun at other nerds, either.   Case in point, while sitting at breakfast in my hotel's lobby before going to Star Wars Celebration VI, and after hearing several conversations around me, I posted to Facebook that I suspected I was not actually nerdy enough to be attending the convention.   The fact remains, however, that I did attend the convention.  In fact, I had a great time at Star Wars Celebration VI.

In middle school and high school I was bullied.   A lot.  And I confess that I have said unkind things to others in the past.   I'm not proud of it, and to this day I still feel guilty, even for stupid things I said and did in elementary school (Tiffany and Jason, I am so sorry!).

That said, I generally take teasing with a grain of salt.  Someone makes fun of you, you cope.  If it's genuinely funny, you laugh.

William Shatner calling out the Trekkies on SNL?   I'm a fan of Star Trek, but that sketch was funny.

Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog, interviewing Star Wars fan in line for Episode I tickets?  I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and that segment was hilarious.

This?  I didn't find especially funny.
"What the Force??? Most bizarre Star Wars convention sightings.

One expects irreverence from SNL and Triumph.  But several websites for news stations posted the "What the Force???" slideshow -- not in the opinions and editorials section, but as a link from their main page.

Countless members of the 501st Legion -- people from all walks of life who create and wear movie-quality Star Wars costumes and raise millions of dollars for charities annually -- felt the slideshow was derogatory and certainly did not belong on a news network's website.  Some even called it cyberbullying.

Members of the 501st sent emails to the news networks.  One by one, the slideshow was removed from the news sites, accompanied by responses of apology.  Most of them.   A news station out of Miami, Local 10, has not only informed disgruntled 501st-ers that they "have better things to do," they have reposted the slide show, first (briefly) with the 501st Legion logo, and then on their Facebook page as a link from a photo captioned, "NEED YOUR THOUGHTS!  Posted this Star Wars convention slideshow a few days ago, seems to have caught on today.  Some people are upset.  WHAT DO YOU THINK????"

Juvenile?  I certainly think so.

I admit, if I found the photo captions on the slideshow even remotely funny, I might tell the stormtroopers of "Vader's Fist" to get over it and learn to take a joke.  Honestly, though, I found the captions to be insulting and inappropriate.   I don't feel like I'm taking anything too personally, though maybe I am.   I just thought it was tacky.

Basically, what bothers me is the news station is sending the message that it's okay to make fun of someone who has different interests than you as long as someone else gets a laugh out of it.   Here's the thing:  If someone's feelings are hurt by something you do, and you insist on continuing the behavior because you think it's funny?  That's being a bully.  Plain and simple.

Plus, someone went out of their way to go to Star Wars Celebreation VI and photograph people (people who, again, raise MILLIONS for charity with their costumes) just to make a few bucks off a mocking slideshow.  Tell me again just who it is that needs to get a life?

No comments:

Post a Comment