Random observations on kids, exercise, sports, and whatever else comes up.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Grain of Salt

My mom has told me more than once to STOP READING. I can't help it. I hear about something that might affect or is affecting my baby, I want to KNOW STUFF. Polyhydramnios. Group B Strep. Fifth disease/Parvovirus B19. Jaundice. Gas. "Why the heck won't my baby wake up?" (Seriously, I've never seen anyone sleep like my baby slept the day after we brought him home from the hospital.) I've read about all that stuff. Sure, a lot of it's scary, but it's also good to know.

The thing about my reading is that I know how to take things with a grain of salt. I've done a lot of investigation into feeding babies, teaching babies, getting babies to sleep. I don't accept any one book as a "bible." Rather, I've gotten a lot of different ideas. If you read enough, every once in a while you come across something that totally makes sense to you. You'll also come across stuff that makes you think, "There's no way I'll ever be able to make that work." What's cool is that there's no absolute Right Way. But if you read enough, you can find techniques that can work for you.

I know I still have a lot to learn. I'm a total noob when it comes to babies. At the same time? I have a ten week old baby who puts himself to sleep without crying when I lay him down in his bassinet, and stays that way for ten hours. There is definitely something to be said for reading.

Someone who I respect a great deal as a mother, teacher and disciplinarian told me the other day that she is convinced that all babies start out good, and it's parents who cause the bad habits. I totally agree. Oh, sure, there are things you probably can't help. Colic comes to mind. But babies learn from day one, and I am bound and determined to make sure my baby stays a "good baby."

Next into Google: "How do you teach a baby to swallow cereal?"


No comments:

Post a Comment