Random observations on kids, exercise, sports, and whatever else comes up.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Summer Days, Driftin' Away

Once again, I have to wonder how I got so lucky. I really do have an awesome baby. He smiles a lot. He sleeps through the night. He hardly ever cries. He loves to snuggle.

Every summer I run two week-long summer day camps for my martial arts students. This year I am doing so with baby in tow. My little Wormie spent the morning alternating between napping and watching kids train and play in a gym with no AC. When he slept, I let him do so in his stroller in my office, which has a window-unit AC and was considerably cooler. There were times, though, that he simply wanted to be held, and I as I had to supervise ten other children, I had to let him snuggle against me in the 90+ degree heat of the gym. It could have been a horrible day -- but he never fussed. He just ate, slept, played and snuggled. Alex rocks.

Even as miserably and oppressively hot as it's been, I don't want summer to end. The more time I spend with my son, the more I'm dreading sending him to daycare in August. Every day, he does something just a little cuter, or a little cooler, or a little better. I don't want to miss any of his "firsts," and I'm afraid I will.

What I wouldn't give to be a stay-at-home mom! At least I'll have next summer to look forward to...

2 comments:

  1. What would you give to be a stay-at-home mom? It's hard but, not as hard as you might think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it were even remotely possible for me to do so, financially, I would. My enormous pile of debt isn't going to pay itself off, though.

    ReplyDelete