Random observations on kids, exercise, sports, and whatever else comes up.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Tubes

So after pretty much near-constant ear infections since November, TLB had ear tube surgery this morning. In some ways, it was a very simple procedure. In other ways, it was quite an ordeal.

Our scheduled surgery time was 9:50 am -- which was horrifying to me when the surgery center called me and told me that, because I knew that TLB would not have eaten since his bedtime the night before, and was therefore likely to be cranky shortly after waking up. We had to be at the surgery center to check in by 7:45 am, which meant more than two hours of wait time once we got there.

I had read that they scheduled the surgeries by age, so I was shocked that they were starting so late, since I was sure that TLB, at his age, would surely be first. We checked in at the front desk and where led to the children's waiting room, where three other boys -- all younger than mine -- were crawling around playing with the toys. Another mystery solved.

In short order we were taken to our room, where we met the anesthesiologist, the surgeon, and were given TLB's spiffy hospital gown. Baby hospital gowns? Hilarous.








There were plenty of toys and lots going on to distract TLB from his hunger... for a little while. At one point, one of the other toddlers beaned TLB in the head and knocked him flat on his Pamper. I maintain that it's funny when someone gets hit in the head with a ball. Even when it's my kid.


We made it until nearly 9 am, at which point there was a meltdown from which no amount of rocking, carrying or cajoling could save me.

Eventually (mercifully) the surgeon found us in the hallway and told us we were next. At 9:54 am, TLB was taken from my arms by a nurse and back to the OR. At 10:18 am, the surgeon came in to tell me how things had gone. Minutes later, TLB was back in my arms, heartily chugging a sippy cup full of apple juice (his second since waking up). The nurse warned me that he might be grumpy, and that he would need a long nap to sleep off the effects of the anesthesia. She was wrong about the grumpiness -- he ate a banana and chatted happily the rest of the way home. She was right about the nap, though -- THREE AND A HALF HOURS.

He earned that nap. So did I.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete